I have been struggling with my weight the last several months and been hard on myself, but today is a great day despite that:)
Today I ran outside for the first time in almost 4 months. My last run outside was for the Monster Dash Halloween weekend. Today it was a gorgeous day for a run on the beach. I had my new motivational playlist on my ipod and my new grey skirt from Athleta. I was all set for my five mile run. I took this opportunity enjoy the moment to the fullest and really think bout my journey. Four winters ago we made our first visit to Cocoa Beach.
I wasn't running the first year we came. It was a year and a half after my brother had passed away. I was at my all time high of 250 pounds and was drinking a lot at the time. I was very unhappy. Today as I was running I thanked God for giving me the motivation to dig myself out of that dark place.
The second year we came here ihad recently turned 40 and was at the beginning of my sobriety and overall journey to a happy, healthy woman. I had lost about forty pounds and was taining for my first 10K at the ed of April! I remember telling a woman at the pool that I wa on this amazig journey and going to run my first race in a few months. Runnin on the beach was HARD WORK. I could hardly make it to the pier past Ron Johns and back. The last day we were here I had an incredible experience running. I was runnig along the ocean and the sky all around me turned almost black. I was trying to figure out what I would do if iwas caught in a storm. I was really nervous. People were running from the beach. Right then an incredibly motivating song came on and abouth 100 feet of sky right above me cleared and was complete sunshine. It was the craziest thing I have ever experienced. It was as if at that very moment I knew I could beat both my alcoholism and obesity.
Last year i ran my first half marathon at Disney World before we got to Cocoa Beach. I saw that same lady at the pool and she was in awe of what I had accomplished since our last meeting. Running along the beach was much easier than the year before.
This year runningte five miles in the sandwas almost easy. Each year I feel stronger. I am amazed at myself and incredibly proud. I definitely had tears of happiness as I was running. At one point I ran past a bappy couple, gave them the thumbs up and said, "Isn't life great?"
After my run, I got an amazing dose of much needed vitamin D!
Sunday, February 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment