I have been working towards this for two years! It was the beginning of November 2008 when I first realized how much stress I had been putting on my body. Yes, there had been signs before the dreaded conversation with Dr. Johnson about my blood pressure, but none as clear as the word hypertension. I told my doctor that I was going to do something about this and I was going to get healthy. I am sure she didn't believe me. I was practically morbidly obese at 250 pounds. She also warned me that I may not be able to lower my blood pressure even IF I lose the weight. I wanted to give it my best shot.
After the high reading she sent me home with the instructions to take my blood pressure readings a few times a day. I was to record them and make an appointment to see her again in two weeks. I went back with my readings, she wasn't pleased, and she put me on 10mg of lisinopril. I stayed on this dose for almost a year, then she took me down to a 5mg dose. We tried at one point to take me off the 5mg dose, but it didn't work.
I was actually suprised last month when she took me off the meds again. She was so excited that I had my first EVER low reading at the doctor's office and was determined to try it again. I was cautiously optimistic when she told me to go off the medicine and start taking my readings again.
I went to see Dr. Johnson this morning. She was so excited to tell me I was off the meds. She even said I don't need to check back in six months. She said, "You have to watch this as I change your records" and she clicked on my Hypertension status and clicked "resolved". Wow. I could almost cry.
Dr. Johnson is proud of me. She was beaming from ear to ear today. She is thrilled to see me everytime I go into the office. She always lets me know that what I have done with my body and my health is not something many people can accomplish. I am proud of what I have done. My only regret is that I didn't do this earlier in my life. I hope I can inspire at least one person today.
Tears of happiness.
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment